Saturday, June 29, 2013

Should Teachers Use Facebook With Students? [Phillips]

                                                   

"Facebook doesn't get teachers fired, inappropriate behavior does".  The title of the article is very poignant and so true.  As the author suggests, it isn't the medium in which teachers communicate that cause a scandal and get teachers in hot water.  Rather, it's the behavior of that teacher and how they communicate with students that is actually to blame, not Facebook, twitter, or any other social media site. The author also suggests that in many of the cases involving teachers and inappropriate behavior online, they are also involved in inappropriate behavior offline as well.

Many students use social media in every aspect of their lives in today's day and age.  As teachers, our job is to engage students and one of the most successful ways of doing that is tapping into our students interests, likes, and desires.  Kids use social media to communicate with each other, so why wouldn't we use social media to communicate with them as well.  The author of the article states, " The reality is that when we remove the ability of adults to exist in children's worlds, we are doing just the opposite of keeping students safe.  Enabling students to operate in online environments devoid of the watchful eye, guidance, and advice of adult family members, teachers, and mentors, is not in the best interests of children.

There are many advantages to using Facebook in the classroom.  Some of which include:

  • Creating an inviting and relaxed atmosphere which could possibly lead to more students feeling comfortable and participating in an assignment or activity and higher overall student engagement. 
  • Students are comfortable using Facebook because they do it everyday.
  • Facebook encourages collaboration and social interaction between students.
  • Students can get engaged about their learning outside the classroom.  
There are also many useful Facebook educational apps that both teachers and students can use.

For students:

  • WeRead : students use it to talk about books they read and get to know what others read.
  • Notely : Students can use it to organize assignments, classes, notes and many more
  • Study Groups ; They can use it to create study groups and collaborate with each other
  • Used Text Groups : This is a group where students can sell and buy used text books
  • CiteMe : Students use it to learn how to properly include citations
For teachers: 
  • Calendar : Teachers can use it to keep their classes on track with upcoming assignments, test, due dates and many more
  • Courses : They can use it to create instructor page and manage their courses
  • Webinaria : This helps teachers record their class lectures and post them on Facebook for the class to review.
  • To-do-list ; Easily create a reminder list
  • Worldcat : easily search for material available at libraries around the world to help in with your research
The article also shows how a first grade teacher helps her elementary students harness the power of Facebook.  You can see how in this video: Teachers use Facebook to update parents.

Ultimately, it may be the easiest solution for schools and school districts to ban social media sites such as Facebook.  However, when we do this we are really handicapping our students and providing them a major disservice.  If we want to really prepare students for career and college readiness and prepare them as globally connected learners and leaders, then we need to focus less on ridding education of Facebook and other social media and focus more on enforcing policies that address appropriate and inappropriate behavior regardless of the medium being used.






18 comments:

  1. I have definitely been leery about using Facebook in the classroom. After reading the article and this post I have realized that the benefits of using Facebook outweigh the disadvantages of using it. The biggest issue is the fact that Facebook states that you must be 13 years old to use the site. Now I am no dummy, I know my students are not 13 but still have Facebook accounts but as an educator should I break that policy? This is something I am going to look into when deciding whether or not to use Facebook in my classroom or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to wonder about the same things in my room. I know that several of my kids (age 8) have Facebook accounts too, but I think for us, it is safer to use the page as a communication piece for parents.

      Delete
    2. I think that you bring up a great point when it comes to the age question. I think it is very challenging for a middle school or elementary student to use Facebook as a resource because they should not be on it. That is why teachers need to be given options that all of their students can login to.

      Delete
    3. I too have been leery in regards to implementing the use of Facebook in my classroom, even as I head into 8th grade next year when the majority of my students will be at least 13. My worry is not about what the public will see in regards to my postings. Rather, it's what my students will post and more importantly what I will pop up on their profiles that I do not want to see!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea that we are looking to reach students in an atmosphere that they are comfortable in. I think it has a lot of potential to reach students that otherwise may be disengaged and unwilling to learn. With proper use of Facebook and social media, I think there is a lot of education and learning that can be achieved if done correctly. The problem is so many times, we hear about the negative aspects of Facebook in the classroom and people using it incorrectly, which sheds a bad light on social media as a whole. I think there will come a day when Facebook and social media in the classroom won't feel as much like a "risk" as I think it is viewed now - it will eventually be integrated in each and every class, K-12.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LIke i stated in my response Christian, it can always be useful as long as we use it responsible, but all it takes is one stupid teacher making a bad decision, and we all look bad. Great topic though, makes you think

      Delete
    2. Likewise, I really like the idea of using formats that the kids are familiar with in the classroom. I think it is becoming easier to separate the personal and professional forums. However, as long as people use social media in both realms, there will be slip ups.

      Delete
  3. Teachers should facebook solely to in a responsible manner. Posting Homework, announcing review sessions, adding links to study guides or reminding students of projects are all responsible forms of professional behavior. I believe it should be a professional site, not linked to your own "personal" email or facebook account. Do not engage in private conversations, do not discuss anything outside of school. Be smart... unfortunately, all it takes is one dumb teacher to make all of us look really bad. Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shouldn't all teacher behavior be done solely in a responsible manner. I would argue that once you are a teacher, you are a teacher 24/7 whether you like it or not. Charles Barkley once said, "I'm not a role model". Well, unfortunately, like Sir Charles, we don't get to choose that. We are whether we like it or not. Whether it's facebook, being at a bar with your friends, or teaching in the classroom, you should always behave in a responsible manner.

      Delete
  4. I agree with the article when it says that it is teachers behaviors that get them into trouble on Facebook or other social media. I think that if a teachers decides to have a page where their students can access their class it needs to be a professional page. It should not be your personal page. Teachers should treat it as a professional page that anyone could visit at any moment. I think that it is challenging for some to separate a personal page and a professional page. I think this is especially true for younger teachers who are just coming out of college into the working force. When you have never really given much thought to what you post and then all of the sudden have to it can be a challenge but one that new teachers must meet if they are going to have a social media page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second your agreement that it is the teachers' behaviors that get them into trouble on social media. Previously, I just thought that social media was a bad idea for teachers. In this class, and in articles and discussions, I have come to the conclusion that it could be hugely beneficial to have a positive, professional social media page, and that not having one is not only a lost opportunity, it's a negative thing in today's culture. In order to create and update a really great social media site, I wonder how much time will be required. That is a big issue for all of us.

      Delete
    2. I third that motion. I am a bit unsure if it is necessary in the classroom...because of the many other options out there within social media. I do agree that there is a great benefit to the students being comfortable and knowledgeable of it. They are all very familiar with it but some of them definitely do not understand the boundaries and concept of digital footprint. The impact of choices is very important to make note of. Think before you Post!
      I still love Andys remark about the "Birds and the Bees" instead these days we need to inform, educate and embrace the "Posts and the Tweets!"

      Delete
  5. I am getting more and more into the idea of using Facebook in my classroom, especially after watching the video on how a first grade teacher uses it. The educational apps also sound really interesting (something I will definitely look into), but I kept wondering to myself how I would use it in my class when all of my students are under the acceptable age. Seeing a page used as a class announcement/ parent information portal really appeals to me. What they say in the video is true- parents are already on it everyday, and they would be more inclined to check for status updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a lot of information from the Facebook posts of the district I graduated from and if I were a parent, I would imagine I'd really enjoy having a Facebook page to get information about my student's classroom. Facebook pushes information as opposed to a companion site that requires parents to intentionally visit.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I should finally join?!
      Agreed that all students and parents are familiar with this and most of them use it daily!

      Delete
  6. I have an OH Facebook page for our Track and Field team. I have found it to be a very useful means of communicating with all of my parents and athletes. In addition, it has helped to keep track of Alumni.

    The point that stood out to me in this article were the resources available through Facebook to help students and teachers manage their course work. I was unaware of these features and am curious and anxious to incorporate some of these into my class. I think anything that can help students gain responsibility and organize their school lives is worth investigating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am, for the first time ever, considering having a Facebook (or some type of social media) page for my students and families. I see huge possibilities to educate parents on topics of gifted children, dated communications, gifted resources, and even assignments. I also love the idea, as Jay mentioned in his post, of meeting students in their world; I also love the idea of reaching students who might be reluctant to participate in other ways. A Facebook-like platform would be a wonderful mode of self-expression, as well as a great way to teach social media safety and digital citizenship. I need to investigate more how to teach and monitor ways to make sure the student input would be putting good work out there, without making them worried about perfectionism. Very nice response to this article and topic, Jay. I want to share these ideas with my colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In theory, using Facebook in your classroom as a teaching tool or as a communication tool with parents seems harmless. After all, if I used Facebook for this purpose, I would post only appropriate and professional comments/videos/pictures. However, my concern would be the conversations I would see between my students in the news feed etc. If I see a situation with cyber bullying outside my facebook site, for example, would it be my responsibility to report this? I agree that it is our responsibility as adults to enter their world to keep them safe, but which adults? I in no way tolerate cyber bullying or inappropriate online student behavior, but where do we draw the line between teacher responsibility and parent responsibility?

    ReplyDelete