Friday, June 7, 2013

[Long] Chrome Web Store for Education

So I used to work for an Educational Technology company that's main product was a website for educators that included a laundry list of web resources that could be used in the classroom. Ultimately, it was a site that linked to other sites that served as a one stop shop for educators to locate "quality" resources without having to search all over the web, wasting valuable time. The Chrome Web Store is all that, free, and in my opinion, better.

Let's look at the logistics. Are you in education? Check. Do you know what Chrome is? Check. (Even if you don't "use" Chrome all the time, as long as you know what it is and how to get to it, you are good to go - but watch out, if it isn't already, Chrome will probably become your preferred browser) If you've established the two points above, Chrome Web Store is a no brainer. No matter your subject, grade level, education position, Chrome Web Store has something in "store" for you [insert smiley face here]. For example, I do not work directly with students, so some of the apps I use are a quick reference Google Analytics app and a web color picker - two things the average person in education may not use but they work for me! 

After doing a very brief search in the store, I came across a few apps that were installed in seconds (about 3 to be exact), easy to use and educational across multiple levels. I encourage you to try the app Typing Club and see how good of a typer you are personally. It's always interesting to me to see how many words per minute you can type. I can remember taking a typing class in junior high and thinking, "this is silly - why would I ever need to type without looking at the keyboard?" All I know is my score in the Typing Club app would not be as high if it were not for that class!


Another fun app I explored is called 3D Solar System Web. This app allows you to explore our solar system and take a "virtual field trip" to the various planets and space. You even have the ability to make a customized tour on your own (requires login). Definitely a unique and different way to learn about the solar system - much more engaging than a textbook!



So if you haven't visited the Chrome Web Store, what are you waiting for? There are many great apps and useful products, specifically check out the Chrome Web Store for Education. Don't forget this is a Google based product so the search bar is your best friend. Search for any subject, topic and see what's out there! Give yourself some time to explore - you won't be disappointed with what you find!

Find some great apps in the Chrome Web Store? Share below!

14 comments:

  1. From the moment I started using Google Chrome as my preferred browser, I have searched and added, searched and added, over and over to find the best apps that suit my needs, both professionally, and personally. For work, I find anything and everything that has to do with math or our science standards. I just wish that there was an easy way to put all of them on the student computers (I am not piloting the chromebook). For my personal use, I find that any apps to help my daughter learn to read are extremely useful and she loves the games. I can't imagine a better resource for quick, effective tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that I wish there was a way to push all the apps I wanted onto the student computers. My students have become pretty good at visiting the Google Chrome store and adding things which is helpful. I plan on teaching this skill at the very beginning of next year.

      Delete
    2. Finding apps and resources for my daughters has been a lot of fun. They have began searching the Chrome store as well. There are so many wonderful teaching resources available for free.

      Delete
    3. This is just another reason as to why Chromebooks in the classroom would be so beneficial. To have that ability to push apps to devices would be huge and would save teachers and students a lot of time by having a "custom Oak Hills" set of Apps loaded onto any device that teacher or student picks up.

      Delete
    4. That is a great idea Christian... so if we get Chrome books, are we abandoning BYOD? What if something better comes out?

      Truth is- those apps are great, and they can be great in helping our students become better at their craft- studying and learning!

      Delete
  2. I truly just discovered the Google Chrome store this school year and I learn more and more about it everyday. First off, I loved "Typing Club," my score was only 34 words per minute,which seems pretty low. Looks like I need to spend a little more time practicing. Also I think this would be a great program to use with my students. As I have mentioned before, my students are always asking how they can become better typers.

    One of my favorite extensions from the Google Chrome store is the "Awesome Screenshots" app. It is great tool for taking screenshot and pasting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Awesome Screenshots" is awesome. Clipular also seems to be a good choice. I like how images in Clipular are automatically saved to your clipboard.

      Delete
  3. I have really enjoyed the last few classes exploring the Chrome store. There are so many ideas and apps that I have found that will benefit me personally as well as my students. I am excited to spend some time this summer finding and incorporating these apps into my curriculum. I have also found it very beneficial to allow students time to search. The students always come away with new apps and resources that I was unaware existed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in the same boat as you as I also want to spend some time looking at the Chrome store. It is one of the things that are out there that can really be an asset that I have not explored yet. My hope is that I will get some time to really look at the Chrome store and see what could really help my students next year. I then want to meet with my co-teachers and work with them on incorporating it into the classroom.

      Delete
  4. The 3D Solar System app looks AWESOME! I can't wait to try it out. I agree, the Chrome web store is great. I've been using in eKids for a few years, and it's always amazing to find out that NONE of the kids knew it even existed until they try it out in class. I would be curious how many teachers out there know it exists? Great resource!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara, I don't think many of our teachers know much about the app store. I think it would be a great idea for our eLc's to run a workshop at each building with teachers to show them the google app packs and to allow them to explore the app store while having the support of eLc's present.

      Delete
  5. I really hadn't started looking at the Chrome store till recently it have really found some good apps and attachments. The ones that I have been using the most are a screenshot app called Clipular. It is very easy to use and I can take a picture of something on the screen and the drag the picture onto a document that I am working on. Another one that I really like is called Any.Do which syncs with the task manager on my phone. When I'm in Gmail and it will also allow me to create a task linked to my email which will instantly sync with all my devices. I look forward to using the Chrome App Store more and finding apps for my students.

    I also liked the different typing apps in the App Store. I hope that we can incorporate how to type with our eKIDS. I think as you pointed out it was a very important thing that we all learned at some point and use everyday. Anyone else agree?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Chrome store really is awesome and I love the app packs that we have recently discovered. Also, I tried the typing club and it is pretty cool. I liked it. It brought me back to my old typing class days in high school. However, we used a typewriter and when we made a mistake, we had to fix it with correction tape. Man were those the days...NOT! Although, I'm sure it helped me become a good typist b/c I never wanted to make a mistake! That correction tape was a pain in the rear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chrome store activity was terrific. I love to collect tools for my students to use in group learning and study groups, and the apps store was a wonderful aid for that. I cannot wait to integrate them more into my class as tactics to use to better their study habits.

    ReplyDelete