Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mobile Devices for Learning

{Hageman} - After reading this article, the first thing that came to mind was my early Catholic grade school days.  We had this wonderful device called the calculator, but for some reason, it was totally off-limits in the classroom.  As I advanced through primary school and into secondary education, the calculator, although still viewed at times as an evil device, slowly began to be embraced.  It wasn’t until my Sophomore year of high school, when Mr. Whampler taught us the power of the calculator.  He dedicated time not only to showing us how to perform calculation and solve problems, but also to real world applications..  He understood that when we left high school, a calculator was a tool that many of us would need to utilize in jobs.  
To me (although not a perfect analogy), mobile devices are this generation's calculator.  Student have in their hands an awesome learning tool.  It is our job as educators to show students how they can utilize that tool to increase their efficiency, organize their academics, and increase their learning.  As the article stated, “mobile devices are becoming as essential to students’ daily lives as, say, breakfast.”  Regardless, if you still need convincing, just take a look at the new Common Core Standards.

1 comment:

  1. Great points, Ben. I like how you compared today's devices with yesterday's calculators. I, too, only learned to use calculators in high school, and that was AFTER being taught by hand. I think the same rules apply for schools and BYOD. Kids in younger grades should learn the basics by hand and have technology as an add-on. As students grow older, they can begin using ipads, smartphones and other devices to make the work "easier."

    This article also gave me some great new tools for my BYOD toolbelt- brainpop and nearpad are two apps I would like to start using in class.

    ReplyDelete